Mother Nature has been throwing us a lot of curveballs over the past few months. With tornado warnings coming more frequently than we would like, it is more important than ever to be prepared for the worst while hoping for the best. Is your business ready for the next storm? We offer these tips to help get your business ready in case a big storm is in the forecast.
- Keep employees safe.
- Come up with an emergency plan and make sure all employees are aware of it.
- Run practice drills to keep the information fresh in their minds.
- Assign different important tasks to specific employees. Of course, let them know their safety is more important than completing the task, but that task should be completed if possible.
- Make more than one evacuation route.
- Develop a system for keeping track of employees who are present during a storm.
- Make sure your business property will be secure.
- Have your building inspected to make sure it can withstand a large storm?
- Install protective shutters or have plywood available that can you easily install if a storm is coming.
- Secure furniture by anchoring to the floor or bracing to the wall.
- Move valuable equipment to higher ground.
- Use sandbags to block flood-prone areas.
- Have emergency supplies available.
- The storm itself might be over, but there may be a period before help can arrive. Be sure your employees are safe by having emergency supplies such as water, food, first aid supplies, generators, fire extinguishers, etc. Check the OSHA website for a complete list of suggested emergency supplies.
Having the proper business insurance policy in place before a storm is important as well to protect your business’s finances if a storm were to cause damage. Be prepared.