Planning a summer vacation? Before you put your bags in the car and head to the airport, there are a few things you will want to do to keep your home safe while you are away. You may already know to cancel your mail delivery for the duration of time you are away, but here are some additional tips.
- You might be excited about your trip, but telling the world about it isn’t a good idea. Keep your excitement within a small circle of trusted neighbors and friends. Do not post on social media or tell people you do not trust about your upcoming departure.
- Install motion sensor lights outside and timed lighting inside. You can buy both adapters for a few dollars at your local home goods store. If you can schedule different lights to turn on during evening hours in your home, it can be a deterrent for would-be burglars.
- Don’t forget about other deliveries other than your mail. Make sure to reschedule any deliveries that would normally come during the time you are away.
- If you are going to be away for more than a week, consider having a landscaper come to mow the lawn and take care of other landscaping tasks so that your home looks more “lived in”.
- Make sure everything is locked up tight. Take a walk through your home before you leave to be sure everything is closed and locked properly.
- Unplug all unnecessary electronic devices like coffee makers, clocks, televisions, etc. that could be the cause of a possible fire while you are away. As an bonus, you might just see a drop in your electric bill when you return!
For the most security, consider hiring a house sitter to keep an eye on your home while you are away. With someone staying at your home, the chance of a break-in is lessened. Also, check your homeowners insurance policy to make sure you have all the coverage you need in the event that something were to go wrong at home while you are away.